Throwback: Travel Diary (2012 - 2014)

5:46 pm

I am endlessly jealous every time I see someone's post describing a wonderful travel experience to a distant, exotic land, or even a brief weekend getaway. We all know the world is full of exciting destinations, and it doesn't take much effort to discover them. But unfortunately, there are many factors that have to be taken into consideration before we start packing up. Money and spare time are certainly on the top of the list.  

Although I literally live for travels and discovering new places, unfortunately I haven't been anywhere in months, at least not anywhere worth mentioning for. Still, my new job should include frequent business travels worldwide, which I am looking forward to, but I think it’s nothing compared to travelling to where, with whom and when you want to. My private plan is to visit Germany as soon as possible, but I am not so certain I'll be able to make it. I guess you all know the drill: when one has plenty free time, they have no money. When there's money, there's too much work or other obligations. And the wheel keeps on turning.

Still, I am quite satisfied with the journeys I did undertake during the last two years. These included: U.K., France, Belgium, Turkey, Serbia, and Bosnia & Herzegovina (in addition to numerous weekend getaways all over Croatia). Of course, all of these were budget travels, so I figured I might share some photos and advice on how to survive a week or so in a foreign country with a limited budget.

#1 TRANSPORT TO AND FROM THE DESIRED DESTINATION (1)
If you’re buying tickets online, make sure to take advantage of first / last minute offers. Also, a very important thing to know: many companies track down your activity on their web pages, and often raise prices every time you come back browsing the same destination as before. Accordingly, the smartest thing to do would be to register for relevant newsletters and get informed on the best deals s soon as possible. This is particularly useful if you don't have any preferences regarding your destination, but only wish to seize every affordable opportunity to travel. In addition, subscribing for newsletters often comes with other benefits, including special discounts, chances to enter various competitions and win trips to amazing destinations, etc.
Example: I bought my plane ticket to London about 3 months in advance. The return ticket totalled about €30 (Ryanair: Zadar-London Stansted).
#2 TRANSPORT TO AND FROM THE DESIRED DESTINATION (2)
If you're traveling with at least 3 or 4 friends, use a personal vehicle whenever possible. You'll get to see many places and things that you would have never seen if, for example, you were travelling by train or plane. And you will surely spend less on gas than on 4 or 5 train tickets. Besides, road trips are always so much fun. Especially if you decide to turn off your route and do something completely unplanned.
Example: I went from Split to Belgrade by car with 3 other people. That's about 1000 km, and each of us spent only €25 on gas.
#3 LUGGAGE
Unlike many girls, I always travel light for several reasons: carry-on luggage is generally free of charge, and I don't have to worry about my suitcase being too heavy to tow around (damn you, stairs at metro stations!). That's why I always travel wearing the heaviest clothing items that would take much room in my suitcase (such as boots and coats!), and only pack up light, small items (underwear, makeup, towels, etc.). The number of tops and T-shirts always by far exceeds the number of pants and skirts, and I always try to find accommodation where I can wash and dry the items I wish to reuse.
#4 ACCOMMODATION
Of course, the very first thing every traveler would check before going on a road is whether they know someone in the city they're visiting who can provide them free accommodation. Whenever this isn't an option, they would opt for cheap hostels, campsites, and similar. However, for me, this eventually proved to be a very bad decision. Why? I am the kind of person who can literally sleep anywhere: I have slept on floors, balconies, beaches, etc. But what I can't stand is sharing bathroom with 20 or more people, for both hygienic reasons and constant shortage of hot water. So I eventually found the perfect solution: Airbnb. This site allows you to rent out apartments, rooms and other types of accommodation units from local hosts. In other words, you can rent out a wholly equipped apartment for the price equal to that of a hostel bed. And the best thing of all: you have your own kitchen (so you can save money on food), you share bathroom only with your travel companions, and your luggage is much safer than in a hostel. I honestly recommend checking this option out: and bear in mind that each unit is rated by the people who had already stayed there, which is often a great criterion for choosing from the vast offer.
Example: my 7 friends and I rented out two lovely little apartments in Paris for about €10 per night, and had a blast there!
#5 PUBLIC TRANSPORT IN THE DESIRED DESTINATION
Many great cities have different types of public transport tickets available both to their citizens and tourists: daily, weekly or monthly passes. I recommend finding more information on this online prior to your trip, because you can save a lot by buying one of these. 
Example: as soon as I arrived to London, I bought an Oyster card. This ticket is valid for all types of public transport, and you can top it up at every subway station. And it doesn't have an expiration date, so you can continue using if you ever return to the city! Also, when you charge it for about £6 in one day, which is equal to the price of a daily ticket, you can take any public transport for free for the rest of that day. This is how my friends and I ended up hopping on random double-deckers and driving around the city for an entire afternoon. One of the best travelling experiences ever! :D
#6 BONUS IDEA
If you are under 30 years old, you can join various Youth Associations and travel on the expense of the EU, or other respective institutions. They usually cover 75% costs of your transport to and from the destination in question, 100% cost of your accommodation and 100% of your food. Ergo, all you need is some pocket money! Of course, you'll have to participate in and contribute to the project in question, but you can rest assured that there'll be plenty of free time for your own activities!
Example: as a member of the Croatian Youth Association, at one occasion I spent 13 days in Turkey, stayed at a 5-stars hotel with a spa center, gym and international cuisine, met some wonderful people from Croatia, Latvia, Romania, and Turkey, and tanned in early April! And I basically only paid for the return bus ticket from Split to Zagreb!

If you think about the categories covered here, they usually make for the greatest part of your travel expenses. But by following these ideas, you can cut them at least in half. The rest, evidently, depends on your preferences; whether you prefer eating out or preparing your own meals, whether you like visiting museums, galleries and other places with an admission fee (by the way, the admission to most museums in London is free!), are you into clubbing, etc. Of course, there are ways to save money on these things as well, but I don’t suppose it would be wise to further expand this already long post. Perhaps on another occasion, who knows? For the time being, I’ll leave you with some of my favorite travel photos and wish you as much time and chances to discover and enjoy our beautiful world!

Thank you so much for reading and have a lovely day! 

You Might Also Like

2 komentari

  1. You have listed some really helpful advice here (and lovely photos, too)!
    I will definitely check out airbnb.com when planning my next trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natasha, I really appreciate your comment!

      Delete