The Perfect Smile (My Teeth Makeover Experience)

12:31 am

We live in a society obsessed with physical appearance. And whether we'd like to admit it or not, we are all forever in persuit of beauty. We do different things to make ourselves feel and look better daily. Some achieve this with makeup, some with changing their hairstyles, and some with simply wearing the clothes that please their figure. Some spend hours at the gym. Others spend hours at the beauty salon. And some... well, they go under the knife. 

I don't think I've ever met a person completely happy with the way they are. I have perfectly beautiful girl friends who don't appreciate different parts of themselves - that in all honesty no one else even notices (and I am sure they would argue the same for me). Still, I can understand their struggle: it's the face and/or body they see everyday. It's the face and/or body that stares back at them in the mirror every time they do something as trivial as wash their hands. And it's that little something in that reflection that makes them think less of themselves and ruins their self-confidence. 

Now, I know perfectly well that this is a serious psychological issue. When it's no longer about what other people think of you, but about what you think of yourself, that's when things can get ugly. 

And this is why I am all in favour of a change - provided it doesn't exceed the limits of good taste, poses a health risk, or endangers others. Other than that, I encourage everyone to do whatever they need to do to make themselves happy. 

In one of my previous posts, I discussed my body transformation in terms of weight loss, and I mentioned I was having some dental work done. Ever since, I've been repeatedy asked why: What is wrong with your teeth? Why are you messing with your teeth if they are healthy? Why do you think your teeth are ugly? Why this, why that. Why, why, why...

Now here's why. 

BACKSTORY
When I was a child, a had a tooth taken out. The upper right lateral incisor. My dentist claimed it was a baby tooth, and my permanent tooth was suppossed to come out later on. But it never did. 

Fast forward to my teenage years, by the time of which the neighbouring, canine tooth moved frontward and took the position in the centre of the hole that was normally supposed to be occupied by two teeth. Also, all of my other teeth, now exhibiting enough space to wander, moved apart and grew gaps. 

At the time I was about 18, I had the canine tooth trimmed and a two-unit crown placed on it. This was only a semi-solution, so to say, and I was never happy with it.
Many years of smoking and having excessive amounts of coffee afterwards, and here we are today. With a new smile and, instead of trying to deny the obvious change, speaking openly about it.

THE PROCESS
To be honest, my first visit to the dentist's three months ago was for purely aesthetic reasons. However, to cut the story short, the x-ray immediately revealed there existed other problems that needed to be addressed urgently, so I eventually ended up having this transformation for both health and aesthetic reasons. It's sad to say, but none of the problems discovered were caused by poor oral care or anything I could have prevented, but by the ill-practice of some of my former dentists. I can't help but thinking, if only my childhood dentist hadn't taken the lateral incisor out, perhaps none of this would have happened.

Anyway, the greatest problem revealed was that the tooth bearing the crown got cracked under my gums at some point. As this posed a threat of an infection, the only solution was to have it taken out. I must say I was somewhat relieved to know I will never see that ugly crown again, no matter what other solution my new dentists might come up with. The doctor and I eventually agreed on the procedures I had to undertake (bridge + veneers), and it was all supposed to be done in 3 weeks. But you can guess: it got more complicated than expected, and the procedure actually lasted for nearly 3 months. 
Now here's a short account of how it all went down (roughly, as I recall):

VISIT ONE: 
- Taking the crown out and extracting the cracked tooth root
- Preparing the teeth for veneers and a bridge (removing a thin layer of enamel from the teeth surface)
- Gingivectomy / laser gum contouring (as I had short teeth and uneven gums)
- Temporary veneers modeled on my natural teeth (I think I might write a whole blog post on what it was like living with these and why I hated them so much)

VISIT TWO:
- Progress check
- Taking out the remains of a tooth allegedly taken out by a dental surgeon several years before

VISIT THREE-FOUR-FIVE-ETC.:
- Progress check: my gums didn't heal in the period expected so we couldn't go on with the procedure
- My temporary veneers broke and I had to have them replaced (this happened a million times)

VISIT SEVEN:
- More enamel removal
- Taking impression of my trimmed teeth

VISIT EIGHT:
- Polishing my lower teeth to approximately determine the future colour of my upper teeth

VISIT NINE:
- Seeing the first "draft" of my future teeth and examining their fit
- Finally getting the temporary veneers modeled on my new teeth (these were much firmer and prettier than the ones modeled on my natural teeth)
VISIT TEN-ELEVEN-TWELVE-ETC.:
- Consultations as to what I wanted to be made different (I had most problems with the colour because I refused to have my teeth too white, and I wanted my front teeth to look the same)
- Another minor gingivectomy
VISIT THIRTEEN:
- Lower teeth whitening: Zoom! in-office teeth whitening
VISIT FOURTEEN:
- Final consultations

VISIT FIFTEEN:
- I was offered to have my new teeth temporarily cemented to make sure they feel comfortable before permanently cementing them: I refused because I'd already gotten used to my temporary veneers
- Permanently cementing my bridge and veneers
THE DENTAL OFFICE
I had all of this done at iSmile Estetic Dentistry & Orthodontics in Split, Croatia. Doctor Nikola and nurse Kristina - I thank you from the bottom of my heart: you've made the impossible possible! I also thank the entire amazing iSmile team!

If you're looking for a place to fix your smile, this is the one!

(and another thing, ladies, the doctor is young and handsome :))

THE PAIN
None whatsoever. I was provided with anesthesia every single time. The teeth extraction was a bit uncomfortable, but not painful. Some claim teeth whitening hurt them: I, however, experienced no pain. 

THE COST
An arm and a leg :) 

No, seriously. I had two teeth extracted, two gingivectomies, lower teeth polishing, three veneers, a seven-unit bridge, Zoom! in-office teeth whitening, and countless temporary veneers made. And I probably made the dentist lose his mind with all my requests. It did cost a lot, but the owner is so amazing and caring for their patients that she usually offers everyone significant discounts. I must have paid way less than I would have anywhere in Croatia, let alone abroad. 

REGRETS
I swear I have none. And I would do it all over again anytime, despite the ugly temporary veneers breaking at the most bizzare occassions (at a wedding!), despite the inability to eat normally for months, despite nearly suffocating with temporary veneers while sleeping.   

I do wish I got myself two more veneers on the left side, but I need a break from not being able to eat for so long, so I guess these'll have to wait for a while. 

FINAL RESULTS
Have you noticed I've been smiling a lot lately? 

That's because I absolutely L-O-V-E my new smile! And believe me when I say it changed my life.
Can you tell the difference? What do you think?

You Might Also Like

1 komentari

  1. Wow, you are beautiful and your new smile is beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete