Stop Yulin!

8:27 pm

Yesterday (June 21st) was the day of the Summer solstice - the first day of Summer. It was also the World Music Day, an all-day musical celebration based on the concept of bringing music out on the streets, with numerous free musical events held all over the globe. But I am bitter today because I can’t write an upbeat post about the joys of music and summer. Instead, I have to write about another, much less fortunate event scheduled to start on the same day: Yulin 2015, the dog meat eating festival held in central China. In case you haven’t heard about it, it’s a “festival” at which dog meat and heavy liquor are being consumed for 10 days, after torturing and sacrificing countless dog lives to fulfill an inhumane “tradition” that has been permitted to occur for many years. Thousands of dogs suffer, are butchered, beaten to death, skinned, and eaten during this brutal “festival”. The event also involves increased abduction of pets, and capturing and serving strays. Finally, it encourages the growing of the torturous and inhumane dog meat farms where dogs are bred particularly for such purposes.

Many ordinary people and celebrities have risen against the festival and numerous protests have been held recently, calling upon the local government to cancel the event. However, what everyone needs to understand here is that this is not just the matter of dogs and China. What should appal us about Yulin is not which particular animal is being killed, but the fact that too many animals around the globe are being treated nearly or just as cruelly. 

But considering I am particularly sensitive to dogs, I have to say I am saddened and shocked to learn that the Yulin Dog Meat Festival is still existant in a modern civilized society. I can’t even bring myself to post photos of the poor tortured animals (but you can find some here) because the horror simply brings tears to my eyes. So, as a sign of my rebellion against all of the above stated, I am doing the exact opposite today and posting some photos of my best friend - a furry, voracious and slobbery giant named Vox. He (I consciously refuse to use “it” here) is a specimen of the authentic Croatian breed named Tornjak. He’s a beautiful, fluffy, cuddly baby when around the people he knows and trusts, but very territorial and overprotective when spotting the “intruders” approaching my yard. But that is exactly why I care about him so much; both for his unconditional love and overprotectiveness, despite the fact that it often scares people.

As they say, we can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. So, please show your heart, join this noble cause, and sign the petition against the festival. We have to start by making small steps first, right?
Thank you so much for reading! 
Wishing you a nice day! 

You Might Also Like

0 komentari