Korčula Half New Year Party

4:19 pm

Why would we only celebrate the beginning of a new year? Why not celebrate the mid-new year as well? And make it different, special in a way? Apparently the people of Korčula had the same idea when they decided to start what is now the tradition of celebrating the Half New Year's Eve on June 30 every year, counting back from 2001.  

Being the first such event in Croatia, the Half New Year celebration has quickly launched Korčula among the most popular Croatian party destinations. However, this is not just an ordinary gathering climaxing in the midnight countdown, nor a fabricated local event designed to increase the number of tourists passing through the town. Oh, no. Actually, it’s primarily a masqueraded parade of the people of Korčula, who take it extremely seriously. One can easily determine this from the effort put into planning and creating their frequently extravagant and vibrant costumes. Purchasable, ready-made costumes? Rest assured you won’t be seeing these in Korčula!

I personally had a chance to participate in this colourful gathering three times, and I can’t even express in words how thrilled I was. It was such a unique experience for me that any attempt at describing it would probably end in failure and giving up. Perhaps this is so because I am a great fan of costumed parties, and in Croatia we only have those in February/March (Mardi Grass), and in November (Halloween, but this has only become popular in last few years), when it is usually either raining or snowing. So, an outdoor costume party with live music, summer beats, cold drinks, and fervent atmosphere was the perfect combination for me.

If you ever happen to visit the island and the festival, you should expect nothing less than the following: hundreds of (hot!) costumed people parading through the cobble stone streets of the old town, abundant in fortification walls and towers; live music blaring from every corner, filling up the squares and streets; bars, restaurants, food and drink stalls all around the town; an electric atmosphere lasting throughout the night; the countdown and fireworks at midnight; night swimming in the crystal clear sea, particularly useful if you need refreshment or sobering up. Last, but not least; the welcoming and very friendly people of Korčula, who are surely going to do everything within their power to make you feel as one of them! And I am not just saying that, they are truly the friendliest people ever. Definitely a must-visit place!

If I have managed to get you interested in the event, there is still plenty of time to grab yourself a costume, hop on a ferry, and join the celebration tonight! I bet my life it is going to be awesome!

Happy Half New Year, Korčula!

The photos below were taken at different occasions between 2008 and 2015. Also, I would like to thank Mila Poša and Andrea Tedeschi for kindly letting me use some of their beautiful photos! You can find more here.
As always, thank you for reading! Don't forget to add Korčula on the list of your must-visit travel destinations! 


You Might Also Like

5 komentari

  1. These costumes are fantastic! I wish we had better costume parties here in England, people are very unimaginative in what they wear. I miss the days when people made their costumes rather than bought them from shops ! Lally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lally, thank you for your comment!

      In Croatia, there are still quite a lot of people who make their own costumes, giving the costume parties here a greater sense of diversity, creativity, and uniqueness. I am proud to say I have never in my life worn a costume bought from shops :)

      And there will definitely be tons of costume party posts on my blog in future!

      Delete
  2. Dear Rakel, thank you for your comment, I really appreciate it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an excellent idea for a celebration (and those three little girls - such a beautifully caught image). I do love a good reason to really dress up.
    Thank you also for your recent comment on my blog; I really appreciated your observations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rosalind,

      you are more than welcome, I truly meant every word I wrote!

      I love blogs from which I can learn, whether in terms of language, or style, or basically anything, and yours is one of the rare that fit into this category for me.

      Many thanks,
      Ivana

      Delete