The Privilege of Privacy

5:15 pm

“Don't tell them your story unless you want them being a part of it.”

Lately I've been pondering my privacy a great deal. Some may argue it odd coming from a blogger, but it’s an actual thought-provoking issue for me.  

In modern times, social networks have created an environment in which there is a perceived duty to expose oneself. Unfortunately, some took it upon themselves to meet this duty both in physical and mental sense. Still, for a long, long time, I had issues dealing with sharing my private affairs. To an extent, I still do.

Being oneself online is often taken to mean being personal. There are plentiful people sharing their life stories, observations, feelings and photos on various online platforms on a daily basis. Revealing themselves as who they are or, quite often, as who they wish to be perceived as. Exposing themselves to the world, seeking its approval, letting it judge them. Throwing a feast for the blood-craving audiences, letting them fatten.

Should they be criticized for their attention-seeking attempts? 

Should they be complimented on their boldness for baring their intimacy so freely? 

Whatever your answers might be... me, I am not that courageous. And I guess I will never be. You won’t ever see me publishing nude selfies, or personal standpoints on politics, religion, or other such things of utmost importance. You will never be able to trace my steps through my publically available online data. You’ll only see me offering a carefully dosed amount of the personal that I deem harmless sharing.   

And it would make me so happy if some would follow my example after reading this.

You should never give people the privilege of knowing everything about you. Think about it. 

You Might Also Like

2 komentari

  1. I wrote something similar a few days ago. How I don't like being 'personal' online and I don't like telling my life story. Some people can do that, they are brave but I like my privacy. And choose to remain private.

    xx Bash |   go say   H E Y   B A S H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I have had a draft for this post for some time now, I have to admit I was in part inspired by your post. When I first started blogging, I was advised to be as personal as possible - otherwise, my readers would supposedly perceive me as “dishonest”, “unreal”, “detached from them”, etc. Moreover, I even refused to publish any photos of myself, and some even went so far to indirectly suggest that the actual reason for this is that I’m probably highly unattractive. The truth is, I simply don’t like that kind of publicity: I consider myself an educated, successful woman, and don’t want to be judged on my appearance or anything as such. And I certainly don’t want strangers to know the details of my private life. I know this is the exact opposite to the idea of writing a blog, and I don’t mean to be offensive to anyone, but I am just not ready for that kind of exposure. I honestly think it’s unnecessary, and I am glad there are other bloggers out there who feel the same way.

      Delete