DIY Relief Easter Eggs

5:41 pm

Is there such a thing as an Easter miracle? Cause I am about to publish a timely DIY post! :)

As Easter break is finally here, which means I had some free time over the weekend, I thought I might try out something new with this year’s Easter decorations.  

Several months ago, I stumbled upon a photo of a relief Easter egg and got stuck with the idea of doing something as such myself. However, the supplies needed were either nowhere to be found in my town / country or way too expensive. Still, I wasn’t discouraged. I decided to find my own, affordable way to make as equally beautiful relief eggs.

As you will see, I already had most of the supplies I used for this project (from my jewellery-making kit), so I basically spent nothing on it. But the only thing you actually need is a hot glue gun. All the rest is just provisional.   

Not to take this any further, you can see the results in the photos below. Also, I am posting a tutorial on how to do this on a budget. Hope you’ll like it!

Tools and supplies: 
Eggs (plastic / hard boiled / blown out)
Egg cups
Hot glue gun
Glue sticks
Nail polish (model making paint / acrylic paint / spray paint)
Nail stickers
Rhinestones  
Brushes
Scissors

How to:
  1. I guess you can do this with hard boiled or blown out eggs as well, but this time I opted for plastic eggs (bought at a supermarket, 10 pcs for less than €1.50). They are easy to handle, durable (I dropped them a zillion times) and, most importantly, reusable. 
  2. Instead of using 3D paint tubes, I made the reliefs with hot glue. The first egg I made (the gold one) was supposed to have a regular shaped pattern, but it turned out a bit messy and clumsy because handling the glue gun turned out to be not as easy as I had thought. That’s why all the other eggs have randomly designed patterns. On the plus side, hot glue dries very quickly and it’s transparent, so you can move on to painting shortly.
  3. I painted the eggs with either several layers of model making paint or nail polish. Still, I think it would have been much more easier and quicker if I had some spray paint.   
  4. Finally, I emphasized the 3D effect with another layer of paint covering only the relief patterns.
  5. To add some diversity, I also glued some rhinestones (from my jewellery supplies) to one of the eggs.
  6. Finally, I decorated one of the eggs with nail stickers. They are basically giving these out for free on eBay :)  
There you have it! Simple as that!

There are endless ways and tons of different materials to make gorgeous and unique custom-made Easter eggs. Do you decorate for Easter? Would you try this DIY relief Easter eggs tutorial? If so, please make sure to share your creations with me on my Facebook page. I would love to see what you come up with!

As always, thanks for reading! Happy Easter! 

You Might Also Like

2 komentari

  1. Divna ideja. Nikad mi ne bi palo na pamat, bas odlicno izgledaju jaja.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hvala ti, izvedba je na kraju bila dosta nespretna u odnosu na plan koji sam imala u glavi, ali nije tako loše za prvi pokušaj :)

      Delete