Something Old, Something New

9:16 pm

I have weird daily routines, to say the least. Sometimes I literary work 24/7, forget to eat or sleep, and can't even remember which day it is. Other times, I have so much free time that I often decide to stay in bed and spend the day in front of my laptop. The trouble is, no matter how bored or exhausted I might be, I can't seem to fall asleep at night easily. Night is when my mind starts racing frantically, and I get ideas. Zillions of ideas. Of course, in the morning I completely forget about most of them, or deem them unrealizable, but every now and then something comes to my mind worth tackling with.

Recently my mother made me come by and take away all the belongings I had left in my old bedroom when I moved out. This included everything from my old drawings, primary and high school diaries (reading these was just hilarious!), letters (yes, the actual, hand-written letters!), to a pile of old jewellery. Going through all these made me think about how creative I used to be before; as I child, I was great in painting, clothes making, and in other areas that required some creativity. And I couldn’t remember when or how exactly I had discarded, disregarded, or lost it.

Anyway, looking at the jewellery pile, obviously unfashionable these days, made me believe that I might do something with it to make it stylish, instead of just throwing it away. Long story short, it was 2 a.m. when I started dismantling the old pieces, separating beads and pendants from chains, using tweezers as my main tool, as it was impossible to find anything such as pliers at the time. I would hardly recommend this to anyone, unless you are a self-destructive masochist craving to lose your mind. If so, knock yourself out!

After a number of finger cuts, broken nails, and some blood, I ended up with what I think is a lovely statement necklace. Maybe it's nothing special, but I am proud of the way it turned out, particularly because it was my first attempt at doing anything as such. And I am surely going to wear the hell out of it. Moreover, in the heat of the moment (a.k.a. the 5 a.m. madness) I even bought some DIY jewellery supplies online, determined to pursue my latest passion. But I tend to act hastily like that when I get excited about something, so I can’t promise I will still be interested in making jewellery after the supplies will have arrived. I guess it depends on whether you’ll like my pilot project! :)

To wrap everything up: my point is that we should start looking at our old jewellery and clothing in a new light, and always take into account recycling before throwing things away. Easy on our budget and environment, redoing old jewellery is a great way to reduce, reuse, and recycle old bits and turn them into beautiful DIY pieces. All you need is some will, skill, and time. Maybe you’ll even discover a hidden talent, who knows?

Also, I would like to express my newly discovered appreciation for all the women selling hand-made jewellery. I know now this is a hard work that calls for loads of talent, dedication, time, and love. My respect for all of you out there! 

I am so impatient to hear your thoughts! What do you think of my "firstborn"? :) 
Thank you for reading, wishing you an awesome day! 

You Might Also Like

2 komentari

  1. Such a lovely necklace, I would wear it anytime! I think you should continue making jewelry, looks like you are talented!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, it means a lot! :)

      Delete