A Guide to Amsterdam, Netherlands

2:20 am

This was about as unplanned as it gets.

Having gone through a lot before and during the Christmas time, I really had no plans whatsoever on where or how to spend the New Year's Eve. For the first time in my life, I couldn't have cared less. It was Friday night when the idea of going to Amsterdam first popped up in my head. On Saturday I packed my suitcases. On early Sunday morning I left home and headed North. Just like that.

I have to warn you right away: this post is not going to be a typical list of my recommendations on where to go or what to see. I rather feel like babbling about whatever comes to my mind regarding my experience staying in the city, so buckle up!
Travelling to Amsterdam was quite an unusual experience for me for many reasons. First of all, before this spur of the moment decision, I really had no vast knowledge of the city (except of the cheap thrills others had told me about) and absolutely no time to see into it, so I didn't really know what to expect. But I was extremely excited to be travelling light-headed and unburdened, with this great opportunity to find everything about my destination out all by myself - on the spot.

Now, in case you haven't noticed before: I absolutely hate Winter. So why would I want to go way that North in December/January (particularly after just having returned from Athens, where it was 18°C)? The answer is:
1. I tripple-checked the weather forecast before booking the tickets.
2. There is but one thing I like about Winter, and it is the Christmas lights. These usually make me less bitchy and whiny about the cold, the wet, the windy, the gloomy, etc.

I guess the stars coincided for me this time. I got my beautifully decorated Amsterdam bathed in the sun during most part of my stay. Yaaaay! 
First thing's first. In terms of architecture, Amsterdam is most famous for two things: its canals and its brick narrow houses, many of which are crooked. These houses by the canals are truly exceptional, beautiful and well-worth seeing. However, although there are probably no two identical houses in the city, wandering the streets made me experience something quite odd. Namely, it gave me a feeling I was going in circles and constantly ending up at the places I've been before. I guess my typically well-oriented brain got disoriented by all those similar city landscapes of red, brick buildings and canals! It failed to find particulars and details to hold on to! But you know what? It felt so good and liberating to be constantly lost in Amsterdam and I actually enjoyed it a lot (without being high, thank you!)! It led me to the places I would have probably otherwise never seen (including an awesome New Year's celebration at a gay bar). 
Another thing Amsterdam is known for is its cannabis and prostitution policy. Although I was prepared to witness some weed-smoking, the amount of weed smell spreading in the streets still managed to astonish me (I am naive like that, yes, I am). What surprised me even more was the fact that smoking tobacco is nearly completely forbidden. Not saying it actually happened, but imagine this: an unnamed tobacco addict arrives at a coffee shop, accompanied by a cannabis user, and chooses to sit at the cold outdoor terrace so they can both enjoy their coffees and smokes. At this moment, there are about ten people around them at the terrace casually smoking weed. The tobacco addict takes out their cigarette box from their purse and puts it on the table, ready to light a cigarette. Suddenly, a waitress appears and warns the poor person they can't smoke tobacco there! 

Outdoor. Fucking. Terrace. Talk about culture shock.
Moving on. 

As you would expect, almost everything tourist-oriented in Amsterdam is either about sex or weed. I visited three markets in Amsterdam (and was absolutely thrilled by the Waterlooplein Market near the Rembrandt House Museum) and here are some highlights: 
Oh, there were also loads of tulips and cheese. Because Netherlands.
As for the Red Light District, I only strolled the streets here in the early afternoon so there wasn't much too see. Yes, there were several girls in the windows even before it got dark, but... taking photographs is forbidden. If you've come this far scrolling just to see some skin, I'm sorry. In order to see that you'll have to visit the city yourself. Maybe this bronze breastplate in the cobblestones, though, could make for a compensation?
Thought I was done? Not even nearly. Amsterdam had several more culture shocks in store for me: 

Have you noticed the amount of bicycles in the photos? Ok, the people of Amsterdam are environmentally aware. And fit. And probably high. But it's Winter, dude. It's 0°C. Stop ringing that bell and go home get warm. And don't come out until May.

(I told you straight on I was bitchy in the Winter.)
The New Year's Eve was amazing, though. There were thousands of people in the streets (although I found the streets shockingly vacant during the regular nights) celebrating, and you could see fireworks wherever you'd turn around. By the time I hit the sack, the fireworks were still being shot. It was endless and beautiful. 

However, another thing endless was the time it took the urban waste management to clean the streets after the celebration. I left Amsterdam on the night of January 3, and not a butt was lifted from the ground by that time. 
Still, as I truly enjoyed Amsterdam much, much, much, I do want to end this post on a positive note, with two things I did and would like to share with you, guys, in case you're going to Amsterdam and wondering what to spend your money on (if left after indulging in the aforementioned cheap thrills). These are:

A night boat cruise: during the Winter months, Amsterdam is set aglow during the Amsterdam Light Festival, when artists from around the world create elaborate light displays along the city's canals. This is a great way not only to see the installations, but also to see the city from a different perspective and learn a little something about its past.
A day trip to Rotterdam: less than an hour away, but seemingly at the opposite end of the spectrum. Rotterdam is the absolute opposite to Amsterdam in terms of architecture due to the city's complete rebuilding after the WW2 that gave it its modern, monumental skyline. Architecture in Rotterdam is some of the most innovative and creative to be found, particularly in terms of housing concepts (The Cube Houses and The Pencil Building are a must-see!).
That was about enough bitching and whining. Amsterdam is actually the place that has left quite a unique, opposing impact on me: despite absolutely loving it, I also genuinely hated it a bit. I loved it for the historical, and I hated it for the modern. I enjoyed the overall "you can do whatever you want" feel, but hated it for "unless it is smoking tobacco" thing. I loved it for the light traffic and environmental friendliness, but hated it for the filthy streets and machines taking precedence over men (cyclists vs pedestrians). I could go on forever about these contradictions that, I must say, even resonated a bit hypocritical to me, but I think I've said enough. 

Have you ever visited Amsterdam? If yes, what are your impressions? If not, would you like to and why?

As always, thank you for reading!

Kisses

You Might Also Like

0 komentari