A Postcard from Zadar

4:05 pm

I've always wanted to live by the seaside, and now I finally do! The beautiful, historical town of Zadar is where I'll be spending most of my time now. Although I'm still getting accustomed to the new life, job, home and people, so far I've only had pleasant experiences. And that's why I honestly believe I am going to be very happy here :)

Even though the feeling of Winter is still kind of absent, the spirit of Christmas can be felt all around. For me, this has much to do with something that has started several years ago in Split, and now’s a thing in the majority of towns in Croatia. I am talking about the towns’ Advent programmes, fronted by the so-called “Božićne kućice” – the Christmas stands placed at the towns’ busiest locations, offering various gastronomic and musical programmes on a daily basis. These include performances by various musicians, folk ensembles and street artists, but also some children shows and humanitarian events. But what the “kućice” are most famous for is their offer of food and drinks, among which the most popular are fritters, sausages, mulled wine and different types of a local spirit known as “rakija”.

As this compellingly reminds me of Split, the town where I used to live for years, it makes me feel like home. Moreover, a McDonalds restaurant (one of my greatest guilty pleasures) was recently opened in Zadar – as if they knew I’ll be moving to the town soon. I cannot possibly think of a better welcome :)

You Might Also Like

0 komentari